A trip to Vietnam is not complete without hopping on a motorbike at least once during the trip. Besides the convenience factor of being able to whizz through traffic easily the experience alone of riding in the hectic cities or stunning countryside is incredible. Renting motorbikes is possible throughout the country and a common practice among foreigners visiting Vietnam. Here is everything you need to know before you hop on a motorbike in Vietnam.
Things to Know before Renting
- The average price per day to rent a motorbike is 100,000 VND to 150,000 VND. The prices can of course vary depending on the quality of the bike and you will be able to negotiate a lower price if you intend to rent for a longer period of time
- Take your passport with you as the rental company will keep it as a deposit while you have the bike. If you are renting with other people sometimes the rental companies will be ok with taking just one passport from the group. If you prefer to keep your passport they sometimes accept a cash deposit as well.
- Make sure you have a contract that states the rental price, when you should return it, deposit information etc.
- Make sure there are no damages on the bike before you leave.
- Go on a test drive before you rent the scooter. If the scooter makes a loud noise when slowing down that is often a sign that something is wrong. Make sure that the breaks and horn are properly functioning as well.
Things to know about driving in Vietnam
The traffic in Vietnam may seem overwhelming at first and the thought of driving here might terrify you. But when you start looking closely you will see that traffic here is a sort of organized chaos. The best way to get a feel for the traffic and understand how it works is to hop on the back of a motorbike taxi. (For motorbike taxis the Grab App is the recommended way to go ).
Always wear a helmet, besides for the obvious safety reasons the police regularly stop drivers who are caught without a helmet. Make sure your helmet is of good quality as well and be careful leaving your helmet somewhere. They are often stolen a re-sold at local markets. Honking or beeping is also done excessively and is just done to let others know where you are. The pace of traffic is quite slow and people will easily swirl around you if you prefer to take it slow as you get used to driving at first.
Make Sure to go with a trusted Renter
Many rentals operating in Vietnam are operating off the grid and rent bikes in suspicious condition. Make sure you are renting from someone that is legitimate and has already been positively reviewed. The rental with the most experience in renting to foreigners is Tigit Motorbikes. The quality of the bikes they rent is the best you can find in Vietnam and although you may be able to find a cheaper price somewhere else it is worth having the peace of mind that the bike you are driving is not going to break down in the middle of the road. They also have locations all throughout Vietnam so you can rent the bike in Ho Chi Minh and drop it off in Da Nang for example if you are embarking on a long motorbike trip.
Top 5 Rentals in Ho Chi Minh City
In operation since 2009 Dragon Motorbike’s has an excellent reputation when it comes to renting to foreigners. They rent brand new Honda’s and Yamaha’s and offer many different pricing options depending on how long you intend on renting
- Address: 182/5A Đường Đề Thám, Phường Cầu Ông Lãnh, Quận 1, Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam
- Phone: +84 90 928 32 80
- Open 9-5pm every day
In operation since 2007 Saigon Scooter Rental has been a trusted renter for thousands tourist throughout the years. They have a great selection of motorcycles for those who are planning on going on a longer trip through the country.
- Address: 26/1 Nguyễn Minh Hoàng, Phường 12, Tân Bình, Hồ Chí Minh 848484, Vietnam
- Phone: +84 93 725 25 09
- Open : 8 AM- 6 PM every day
Founded by an Australian and a Vietnamese Top Notch has developed a great reputation in the short time that they have been operation. They rent out new Honda’s and Yamaha’s and offer 24 hour assistance in case of emergency.
- Address: 113/4/91 Võ Duy Ninh, Phường 22, Bình Thạnh, Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam
- Phone: +84 898 782 308
- Open 9 AM -7 PM every day
Tigit is the leader in Vietnam for providing rental motorbikes for long distance traveling between Ho Chi Minh, Danang and Hanoi. They only sell or rent a few select models that they feel are the best performing in Vietnam.
- Address: Sarimi Condo, B1-B2 Towers, B2-00.01 Sarimi Building, Ward, Nguyễn Cơ Thạch, An Lợi Đông, Quận 2, Hồ Chí Minh 777777, Vietnam
- Open: 9 AM- 5 PM every day
At Style Motorbikes they offer a large range of bikes and scooters for rent one way between Hanoi, Hoi An and Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam. As they have shops in Hanoi, Hoi An and Ho Chi Minh they can offer one way rentals with no additional transportation costs when finishing Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh. They also have bikes for sale but it is better to contact them directly the prices and availability as it varies depending on the age and condition of the bike.
- Address: 368 Võ Văn Kiệt, Phường Cô Giang, Quận 1, Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam
- Phone: +84 91 513 97 96
- Open: 8 AM- 6 PM
Top 5 Rentals in Hanoi
The highest rated motorbike rental in Vietnam, Phung’s motorbikes offers a great variety of bikes for very reasonable prices. The customer service here is excellent so do not be alarmed if you you happen to need any assistance during your rental.
- Address: 13 Ngõ Huyện, Hàng Trống, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội, Vietnam
- Phone: +84 90 425 34 91
- Open: 9 AM – 6 PM every day
Another extremely highly rated rental known for excellent customer service, they will go the extra mile to accommodate your requests and be sure to count on them if anything goes wrong.
- Address: 41 Ngõ Huyện, Hàng Trống, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội, Vietnam
- Phone: +84 93 634 51 23
- : 24 hours a day
- Address: 66 Đào Duy Từ, Hàng Buồm, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội 100000, Vietnam
- Phone: +84 24 3926 4012
- Open: 8:30 AM – 7 pm every day
Hanoi Motorbike Rental & Sales
Offering brand new Honda’s and 24 hour emergency assistance if needed. Hanoi Motorbike & Sales has been highly recommended by travelers in Vietnam for several years.
- Address: 14 Hàng Chĩnh, Hàng Buồm, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội, Vietnam
- Phone: +84 91 233 38 18
- Open: 9 AM- 5 PM every day
Danny was helped in all of this by his wife, Thu, who with excellent English and a keen sense of business, managed to aid him in building the company’s reputation for quality. Originally they opened a small shop in Hanoi’s Old Quarter, where the bulk of rental shops were located, but as demand from expats grew exponentially over the years, the duo decided to move their shop to Tay Ho, Hanoi.
- Address: 15a Ngõ 12 – Đặng Thai Mai, Quảng An, Tây Hồ, Hà Nội 100000, Vietnam
- Phone: +84 90 439 24 23
- Open: 8:30 AM – 5 PM every day